Written in collaboration with Dani Stevens (Health, Fitness and Food Motivator)
While winter brings with it visions of open fires, toasted marshmallows and hot chocolate, it’s also one of the toughest times of the year for us mums and dads. As a mother of 4, I know first-hand that battling the colds and flus that run rampant (and throughout our household like a domino effect!) during the cooler months is physically and emotionally exhausting. Rather than just waiting for the winter blues to hit, here are some of my tips to help parents prepare their household…
- Love to layer: dressing for winter is all about layers – for mums and dads alike. Dress your kids with a few different layers that can be easily taken off or put on when moving from heated buildings or cars and the colder outside air. Top tip - look for simple and easy to access buttons, zips or press studs on the outer layers for ease!
- Take an audit: I frequently go through my medicine cupboard to check that all the use by dates on packs are up to date. You may be surprised at the number of out of date stock from last winter.
- Know nature’s helping hands: I love how natural herbs and extracts can help relieve the symptoms of cold and flu. Right now I am loving the new Demazin Kids Cough Relief Liquid which contains ivy leaf extract to help thin and loosen mucus, and is soothing to relieve a chesty cough. The new Demazin Kids Cold & Flu Relief Liquid contains Black Elderberry, Zinc and Vitamin C which I find really helpful in supporting healthy immune function in children.
- Keep it clean: I know how hard it is to keep our home clean but hygiene is important all year round, and is even more essential for younger kids in particular during cold and flu season. Teach them how to cough and sneeze without spreading potentially nasty germs around; remind them to wash their hands often, and put a couple of extra hand sanitisers and soaps around the house.
- To flu shot or not: Every family is different so make an appointment with your family’s GP and discuss whether the flu shot is right for you and your little ones. It might be a good idea to check in with grandparents and other carers about what their plans are too.
Wishing you a healthy winter and if the bugs do visit your family this season, there are treatment options at your local pharmacy that can help relieve your symptoms. Oh yes, and my home made chicken soup on DaniStevens.com!